Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Is Furniture Being Ruined by Your Cat?

First off do not declaw your cat just to save your furniture. Cat scratching is natural and all cats do it. What you want to do, is find a way to direct your cat to scratch where you want your feline to. There are several things you can do to direct your cat or minimize the effects of cat scratching.

catherine ps3

1. Get your cat a scratching post. To get your cat to use this try and start him/her young. Also, I use cat nip to attract my cats to the post. Other things you can do is put a toy on the scratching pad, give your cat a treat when ever they use it, in short try to make the memory of the scratching post or pad enjoyable.

CAT

2. You can trim your cats nails. This could take some doing since cats, as you know, do not like to be held unless they ask for it. Be ready for some resistance to this event.

3. A preventive measure is to protect your furniture, by covering the ends of the furniture with a substance the cat does not like. Such material as aluminum or double sided tape can be used. I used this method till our felines got use to the scratching pad then could take it down the double sided tape and aluminum.

4. Another thing I used was a can with some lose change it it. Whenever the cats started to scratch my furniture I shook the can to scare them. They then associated the noise with scratching and stopped. This only works when you are around the home, so other measures will need to be taken when you are not at home.

These are some of the methods I used to protect my furniture and they work.

Is Furniture Being Ruined by Your Cat?

The scratching pad I use, which I find is the best is, Emery Cat. This works well at keeping your cats nails sharp and your cat happy.

CAT

No comments:

Post a Comment